STRAWBERRY JAM-FILLED ALMOND MUFFINS Serves 12
You worked hard all week and a break is finally in sight. But don’t let a single sitting of pancakes derail your discipline. This weekend, make yourself a better brunch.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon evaporated cane juice, or raw turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray, or line with cupcake liners.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg and brown sugar until smooth. Add buttermilk, orange juice, apple sauce and vanilla, and blend. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
- Fill the pan cups half way with batter.
- In a small bowl mix together jam and almond extract. Spoon jam into center of muffin, and top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with almonds and sugar.
- Bake until the tops are gold brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 15-25 minutes.
Per serving (1 muffin): 229 calories; 33 g carb; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 8 g fat