It’s almost time for the Super Bowl! Time to load up on Velveeta, sour cream and butter!
Stop shuddering– we all know the realities of the game day menu, even if we don’t like to think about it much. Super Bowl Sunday has to be the fattest day of February– probably even more so than Valentine’s. Why not mix it up this Sunday and serve some healthier options? With just a few simple substitutions, you can serve up a Super Bowl Sunday that won’t keep you from busting out of the seams of your Aaron Rogers jersey.
1. Order a pizza with more veggies and maybe even with less cheese.
2. Substitute plain yogurt for sour cream and mayonnaise in your dips. For dipping, find baked or low fat chips. No one will notice if you pour them into a bowl.
3. Use reduced fat cheese in your nachos.
4. Think of a lower calorie drink to serve in addition to light beer. Try diet sodas and club soda.
5. Start your own touch game during halftime.
6. Put out Chex Mix instead of plain nuts.
7. Make a pot of vegetarian chili instead of the regular beef based, or use low-fat ground turkey breast instead of the regular beef.
8. Pop your own popcorn, or use a low-fat microwaved version.
9. Put together a fruit tray instead of a cheese tray.
10. Choose pretzels over chips.