This delicious vegetable galette recipe can be used many different ways. You can serve it as an appetizer or with a side salad for a light lunch or dinner.
For Pastry Dough:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup cold ice water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion
3 medium portobello mushrooms, cleaned (approx. 9 ounces) and sliced
2 1/2 ounces baby kale or spinach
1 1/2 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a food processor, combine flour, butter, and salt and pulse until a crumbly mixture is formed. Slowly add water (only as much as necessary) until dough is formed in a ball.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into approximately a 12-inch circle.
4. Spray a baking sheet very lightly with cooking spray; place the 12-inch dough circle on it.
5. In a non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat, add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes. Add portobello mushrooms and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add kale or spinach and sauté for one minute. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon vegetable mixture onto rolled-out dough, leaving approximately a 3-inch border. Sprinkle cheese on top of vegetable mixture. Fold dough edges so they overlap, and brush crust with remaining 1/2-tablespoon olive oil.
7. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1/12 of Galette
Fat 7 g
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrate 11 g
Fiber 2 g
Sodium 163 mg
Price per serving: $0.80
Restaurant Price: $5.99
Kale is a good source of the antioxidants A, C, and K as well as fiber and carotenoids. According to the American Institute of Cancer Research, foods containing carotenoids may protect against cancers of the mouth, pharynx, and larynx.
This recipe is brought to you by Whole Foods Market.