Everyone loves an ice cream sandwich, and your favorite low fat ice cream sandwiched between these soft and chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies makes the perfect summer treat.
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup oatmeal (old fashioned oats, not quick cooking)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup of frozen low fat ice cream or yogurt, slightly softened
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 8 g
Sodium 164 mg
Fiber 2 g
Serving Size: 2 cookies with 2 teaspoons frozen ice cream or yogurt
Makes Approximately 24 cookies
Price per serving: $0.32
Restaurant Price: $3.75
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until creamy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until well combined.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
6. Add the oatmeal and chocolate chips, combining until just mixed.
7. On a non-stick baking sheet, drop mixture by rounded tablespoons. Flatten rounds gently and bake for approximately 8 – 10 minutes.
8. Once cookies have completely cooled, sandwich ice cream/yogurt between two cookies and ENJOY.
An occasional treat can be part of a healthy diet when balanced with the rest of your meals. Eating a small treat with your food will stave off the likelihood that you will overeat that same treat later on. Enjoy your treat mindfully.
This recipe is brought to you by Whole Foods Market.
Registered and licensed dietitians Alexa Sparkman and Anne Wilfong can provide reliable, objective nutrition information, separate facts from fads, and translate the latest scientific findings into easy-to-understand nutrition information. For more information about their nutrition counseling practice, contact Alexa or Anne at 512.257.0898 or SparkmanNutrition.com