Sloppy Janes Recipe
The new year usually consists of new health goals and diets; or even just resolutions of cooking at home more. Whole30-, paleo- and keto-approved, this twist on a classic from The Defined Dish is a simple, family-friendly recipe to start your year off right.
Total cook time: 45 minutes
4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup coconut aminos
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Scrub and pat dry the sweet potatoes. Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil and bake until tender (about 45 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until slightly tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon until the meat is browned and cooked through (no longer pink), about 7 minutes more. Season with the salt and pepper while browning.
- Add the tomato paste, mustard, chili powder and red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook, stirring, until well combined.
- Pour in the coconut aminos and cook, stirring, until it has reduced.
- Remove from heat, cover and keep warm until the potatoes are finished cooking.
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven and make a slit in the top of each sweet potato. Stuff with sloppy joe mixture, serve and enjoy!