As the new year approaches, many are planning new work out regiments, new diets and researching local gyms to join. While these options are great and often work, they aren’t always the most affordable. One way to shed pounds and still save money is by using an at-home gym. This doesn’t necessarily mean you need to devote an entire room to work out equipment; a simple corner in a room reserved for free weights and kettle bells would do! Here are 10 of the most popular pieces of exercise equipment for a home gym – now get out there and stock up!
1. Kettle Bells – Kettle Bells are becoming standard in at-home gyms, and for good reason. Kettle Bells are very versatile, can be used for a multitude of exercises and engage various muscle groups – a must-have for the home.
2. Jump Ropes – Jump ropes are a classic piece of exercise equipment that provide a solid cardiovascular workout without taking up as much space as a treadmill. Jump ropes can be used in between weight sets and are easily packed for trips so you’ll never have an excuse to miss a workout!
3. Rowing Machines– Rowing machines are useful because they provide an allover workout (aerobic and muscle-building) while toning both the upper and lower body.
4. Weighted Vests – Weighted vests can be added to almost any workout to increase resistance and give it that extra “umph!” These vests are useful when it comes to exercises that don’t require equipment such as lunges or push ups.
5. Treadmills – This machine can be quite valuable in the home, providing a cardiovascular workout rain or shine, day or night (which is great when training for distance races). However, treadmills can be a little pricey, so do your research if you’re thinking of purchasing one!
6. Stationary Bikes -Stationary bikes can also be a little on the expensive side, but are an investment worth the cost. These bikes are low-impact, which is good for those of us who can’t take the stress of running regularly – and don’t forget they tone the booty!
7. Balance Balls – Balance balls are an inexpensive home gym addition and can help improve balance, agility and core strength along with decreasing risk of injury.
8. Stair Climbers – Another piece of equipment that’s low impact and great for an aerobic workout, and if you don’t want to invest in a stair climber, you can always climb your own at home!
9. Ellipticals – Ellipticals are one of the most popular pieces of equipment at gyms these days (low impact and provide a dynamic workout). There are many types of elliptical trainers, so try some out before you commit to buying one.
10. Recumbent Bikes – These bikes provide a similar workout to a stationary bike but have extra back support, so there is less stress on the knees.
So there you have it, and if you start looking now, you might just find some of these exercise essentials going on sale for black Friday!