What You Need
3 medium beets
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1 sprig fresh parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make It
1. Cut off the beet greens and set aside to use for another dish.
2. Scrub the beets lightly to clean.
3. Put the beets in a pot and cover with water; bring to a boil.
4. Turn the heat down to medium and cook beets until they can be easily pierced with a fork
5. While the beets are cooking, mix together the rest of the ingredients.
6. When the beets are finished cooking, drain off the water. Place the beets in a brown paper bag for 5 minutes to steam—the skins will slip off easily.
7. Cut beets into large dice.
8. Place the cubed beets in a bowl and mix with oil and vinegar mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve at room temperature or chilled.*
*Because vinegar is a natural preservative, this recipe will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week and the flavor improves with time!
Makes 6 servings
Serving size: 2 cups
Did you know?
Buying fresh beets with their attached greens is a two-for-one deal! Cut off the greens to mix with lettuce or spinach to eat raw in a salad or lightly sauté in olive oil until wilted with garlic and onion and eat warm, or roast or boil the beetroot (as in this recipe).