Another year of our country’s independence is upon us, and Austin has no shortage of things to do this year! Check out just a FEW of the many events going on in and around Austin to celebrate the Fourth of July:
1) Austin Symphony July 4th Concert and Fireworks: More than 100,000 people will enjoy this Austin tradition of free symphony music and fireworks. Under the direction of Austin Symphony Orchestra director Peter Bay, this patriotic event features fireworks and the popular 1812 Overture followed by Howitzer cannons, courtesy of the Texas National Guard. So come out early, bring some food, and claim a spot on the grass to enjoy the show.
Wednesday, July 4, 8:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. • Auditorium Shores at The Long Center
2) Freedom 5000: The 6th Annual Freedom 5000 will be held on Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 at 8:00 a.m. They have added a Kids K for this year’s event starting at 9:00 a.m. Kick off your family’s celebration by participating together in this patriotic event! Your entire family can take part, with strollers and pets (on leashes) safely positioned after the more competitive runners. The 5k event will be chip timed and age group awards will be given. Those registered for the kids K will receive participation awards.
Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:00 AM • Camp Mabry 2200 W. 35th St.
3) Pflugerville Pfirecracker Pfestival: The Pfirecracker Pfestival is a go for 2012…so gather your friends and family and make plans to spend an old fashioned Independence Day at the Lake. Live music, festival food, games for the kids, community washer and horseshoes, fabulous fireworks display and a live concert to top off the evening.
Wednesday, July 4, 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. • Lake Pflugerville
4) 101x Summer Cinema – Captain America: Free summer movie fun is back! For seven years, Central Market has teamed up with radio station 101X for free movies in the Central Market Cafe park area on the three-story Alamo Drafthouse inflatable big movie screen. Bring your blanket or lawn chairs and enjoy $2.50 draught beers with lots of fun meal deals. No outside food or drinks are allowed in the Central Market Cafe park area. The featured movie, Captain America, a 2011 American action film about Steve Rogers, a patriotic young man who, after being deemed unfit for military service, volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America – a superhero dedicated to defending the USA’s ideals.
Tuesday, July 3, 8:00 p.m. • Central Market 4001 N.Lamar Blvd
5) Fourth of July at Volente Beach: One of the best fireworks shows on the Lake! Starting at dusk, listen and watch and celebrate our nations birthday. Water park open till 8. Admission $8 after 8:00.
Wednesday, July 4, 8:00 p.m. • Volente Beach 16107 FM 2769
6) Paddle Zen 4th of July Sale: This Wednesday, in honor of July 4th, Paddle Zen will host their biggest sale of the year. Stock up on everything you need for the water this summer and get 20% off $100 or more, including full price items and SUP boards!
Wednesday, July 4, 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. • 1610 E Riverside Dr
7) Lago Vista Fourth of July Firecracker 5K: This Fourth of July, why run in the city when you can run in beautiful, scenic Lago Vista on the north shore of Lake Travis? The 5K course isn’t your typical race; it features beautiful Texas Hill Country scenery and lake views. There are slight hills, as well as downhill portions. Come experience the running community of Lago Vista, an excellent training ground. This race will be chip timed and all registrants receive a free T-Shirt. This event also includes a 1 mile fun walk
Wednesday, July 4, 8:00 a.m. • Heather Dr & Fawn Park Lago Vista, TX
8) $20 OFF My Fit Foods: Planning to overindulge this 4th of July? Make a quick recovery with healthy meals from My Fit Foods. Purchase $40 worth of perfectly portioned meals filled with lean proteins, low glycemic index carbohydrates, and heart healthy fats – and get $20 off!! It’s never to late to feel great in that swimsuit. Just bring in the voucher claim your free $20 worth of meals!
Tuesday, Thursday or Friday, July 3rd, 5th or 6th • Any My Fit Foods location