Warm and comforting, this beef stew recipe is easy to make and tastes great as leftovers the next day.
Fat 9 g
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrate 33 g
Fiber 5 g
Sodium 350 mg
What You Need
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound lean beef stew meat, such as top round, cut into cubes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup red wine
4 cups low sodium beef broth
1 cup carrots, diced
2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed, about 2 ½ cups
1 cup farro
How to Make it
1. In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add beef in batches, browning each batch for about 7-8 minutes per batch, turning frequently. Transfer beef to a separate plate.
2. Add garlic and sauté for approximately 1 minute. Add onion and sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add flour, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Add wine and scrape up any brown bits on bottom of pot.
4. Add beef broth and browned beef to the stockpot, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 1 ½ hours.
5. Add carrots and potatoes and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add farro and simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until beef is tender.
Makes approximately: 8 servings
Serving Size: 2 cups
Did you know?
Farro is a grain with a nutty flavor that is high in fiber, magnesium, and vitamins A, B, C, and E.