ROASTED CORN CHOWDER Serves 6
Ah, soup. It’s easy, it’s versatile, and it’s filling. But so often it ends up being thoroughly “blah”, and you default to ordering something cheese-loaded or fat-injected, just so you don’t keel over from diet boredom. Wake up your taste buds and stay on track with this flavorful, spicy soup.
Tips and Tricks:
- Choose a cream corn that is low in fat, organic, and free of wacky preservatives. The kind of cream corn you choose for this recipe will drastically affect its nutritional content.
- A bell pepper can be used in place of the green chilie, and adds nice color.
- If you are feeling particularly decadent, or just want to up the protein content, serve with lump crap or lobster meat.
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 2 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 green chilie, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 cups cream corn
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray, and spread corn evenly over pan. Roast for 5-10 minutes. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add roasted corn, garlic, onions, jalapeño, and green chili, and cook until onions are translucent. Add herbs and sauté briefly. Add water and cream corn and cook over medium-low heat for 30 to 45 minutes. Purée with an immersion blender or in a food processor.
Per serving (about 6 ounces): 150 calories; 33 g carb; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 g fat