Maudie’s Tex-Mex shares their family-friendly recipe that will satisfy hungry tummies and keep everyone at the table happy.
Flautitas de Pollo
Makes 30 flautitas
Flautita Chicken Filling:
- 1 ¼ C Diced Onions
- 1 ½ Tbsp Finely Diced Serrano
- *can be omitted or reduced
- 2 ½ C Diced Tomatoes
- 1 ¾ lbs Shredded Chicken
- 1/3 C Chicken Stock
- 4 tsp Oil of your choice
- 4 oz Shredded Jack Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 30 4” Corn Tortillas
To Make the Filling:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in oil for 1-2 minutes then add serranos and cook for 2 more minutes until soft.
- Add diced tomatoes, sauté for 2 more minutes
- Add shredded chicken and stir. Add stock and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Once chicken is hot, place into a strainer to drain off excess liquid. After chicken is drained, place it in a pan to cool.
- Once chicken is cool, add the jack cheese.
To Make the Flautitas:**
- Rub tortilla with a little oil and place 1.5 oz of chicken along middle of tortilla.
- Roll up tightly and secure with a toothpick.
- In saucepan, heat oil to 350° and fry flautitas for 4-5 minutes until crispy.
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce, topped with a sprinkle of cotija cheese, cilantro and pickled red onions. Dip in Maudie’s Tomatillo Avocado Sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
- **For a healthier version, place flautitas on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes, turning once, until desired crispiness.