1 semi-boneless quail
1 quart spinach
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced shallot
½ cup coconut milk
1 tsp turmeric
1 stick unsalted butter
2 Tbsp shiro dashi* (more or less to taste)
1 Tbsp red chili oil
2 each cherry tomato
Olive oil (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
4 each radish, thin sliced
*Can be substituted with tamari.
1. Melt butter, add shiro dashi, stir to mix well, and set aside.
2. Mix coconut milk and turmeric together, stir well, and set aside.
3. Season quail with salt and pepper and grill until done (approximately 3–4 mins each side). Be mindful not to overcook it as it will cook fast.
4. While quail is grilling, heat a pan and then saute garlic and shallot. When translucent, add in spinach and approximately 3 tablespoons of the butter/shiro dashi mixture. Saute spinach until it just starts to wilt, then add coconut/turmeric mixture. Add coconut/turmeric mixture to taste and or until it’s as saucy as you want it.
5. Quarter cherry tomatoes and toss in olive oil with a little salt and pepper. Place spinach in large bowl and put the sauce in according to your preference.
6. Quarter the quail and plate criss-crossing one leg and one breast each on top of spinach. Spread dressed tomatoes throughout the dish along with radish slices. Drizzle red chili oil around dish and on top of quail.