4 cups whole wheat bread cut or torn into 1-inch pieces*
1⁄4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup black-eyed peas, cooked
1⁄2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. Place bread pieces in a bowl. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over bread and toss to coat.
3. Spread bread pieces on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake for 5–10 minutes, until lightly toasted. Allow to cool.
4. Place butternut squash cubes in casserole pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over squash and toss to coat. Roast squash for about 15 minutes, until cooked through and slightly brown on edges.
5. Combine the vinegar and honey in a bowl, and whisk in 1⁄4 cup olive oil.
6. Combine toasted bread, squash, black-eyed peas, and basil in a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad and gently toss.
7. Add a pinch of salt and pepper if desired.
8. Allow salad to stand for about 20 minutes before serving.
*Stale bread or croutons can be used instead of the whole wheat bread. If you go this route, skip toasting bread and start by cooking the squash.