(page 1 of 3)
As the cooler temperatures leave us and we start to head off into warmer months, a three-day reboot can help our bodies reset and recalibrate for the season ahead. Every year I do a seasonal cleanse–sometimes a juice cleanse, sometimes its food based–but either way I leave feeling re-energized and reconnected. With a focus on plant-based, wholesome ingredients, three days free from processed foods, sugars, dairy and wheat can put a little pep back into your step. This regimen can also serve as a way to ease into a juice cleanse because your body will already be adjusting to a diet of whole foods.
Spiced Banana Nut Smoothie
This recipe is one of my all-time favorites. The base here is Juice Society’s Spiced Cashew but if you don’t have one of these delicious bottles on hand, feel free to use almond or any other nut milk. This smoothie is filling with long lasting energy from the fat in the nuts and coconut oil.
8 oz Spiced Cashew (or other nut milk)
1 frozen banana
1 small handful almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil
Optional additions: 1 tsp cacao, ½ tsp maca powder, splash of cold-brew
Blend and enjoy!
Hemp & Herb Salad
1/2 bunch flat leaf italian parsley
1-2 cups of cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop parsley, dill, cucumbers and tomatoes.
2. Add in hemp & sunflower seeds.
3. Add olive oil (we use about 1/4 cup but feel free to use a little less or more) and salt and pepper.
4. Additions: Add avocado for a healthy dose of fats and/or two soft boiled free-range eggs for an extra protein boost.
Southwest Quinoa Burger
A perfect addition to any BBQ (or just because) is this southwest veggie quinoa burger that shines in the midst of meaty hamburgers and hotdogs. Filled with a healthy serving of vegetables, spices and protein-filled, gluten-free grain, this “burger” pairs well with a creamy lime and chili powder guacamole on a bed of arugula.
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, chopped
1 cup black beans
1 egg (optional)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt & pepper
1. Cook quinoa according to instructions. Fluff when finished and set aside.
2. Saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper in a pan for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. In another bowl, mash the black beans into a thick paste.
4. Add black beans, sautéed vegetables, jalapenos, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne to the quinoa. If you’d like to use an egg, this is where you’d add it.
5. Mix all ingredients together and begin molding small patties
6. Add a touch of olive oil to a pan and place patties on the pan. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and firm.
7. For the guacamole, mash 2 avocados, add chili powder, dash of salt and the juice of 1 lime.
8. Serve patties over a bed of arugula, top with guacamole and a squeeze of our favorite YellowBird Habanero Hot Sauce for some heat!