Quinoa Kale Salad
Photo Courtesy of Knox Photographics
Mix your meals up with a quinoa kale salad this summer.
The secret to a good meal is all about balance. That’s why the menu at Bento Picnic follows the japanese principal of washoku—using five elements of color, taste, and technique to achieve balanced nutrition, flavor, and presentation. Try incorporating washoku in your own meals with Bento Picnic owner and chef, Leanne Valenti’s quinoa kale salad.
Quinoa Kale Salad Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 bunch kale, washed, destemmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced thin on bias
- 1 watermelon radish, matchsticks
- 1 pear, medium dice
- 1/2 cup edamame, shelled
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa with three cups water. Simmer until quinoa has bloomed and all water has been absorbed. Usually takes about 20 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg and mirin.
- In a large mixing bowl, rub kale with avocado oil until tender. Mix in carrots, radish, pear, edamame and pumpkin seeds. You can swap these for other vegetables you have on hand.
- Once quinoa is cooked, sauté the grated ginger and garlic with avocado oil in a skillet.
- Add the cooked quinoa and egg mixture to the pan, and use a spatula to scramble until the egg is fully cooked.
- Slide the mixture into the bowl with the prepped salad ingredients and toss. Add salt before serving.